Friday, July 2, 2010

Meaning of David's Name

If you know me well, you'll be surprised to learn this forthcoming fact. When I went into labor with little boy #2, I had not yet settled on his name. (Gasp! Shock!)

And it took me a good 15 to 20 minutes after he was born to decide which of the two first and middle names I thought fit him better. It was a very difficult decision for me, but I know his name is the right one for him.

You all now know I decided his name would be David Scott. "Why David? Why Scott?" you might be wondering. Well, let me tell you!

When my church offered a bible study this past spring using Lifeway Press' "Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David" from the Deeper Still Event featuring Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, and Kay Arthur, I KNEW that study was for me. Not only was I contemplating the name of David for my second boy's name at the time, (my first inclination that God was leading me to name my son David) it also challenged me to learn more about King David's life from three different perspectives to bring an even greater amount of applicable, practical, spiritual growth in my personal life. And I was not disappointed. The seven-week study ended one week before David's due date, so my prayer during the seven weeks was that I'd be able to FINISH the study without giving birth to David early. My prayer was answered and then some since I went one week over my due date! Ha!

Thanks to some scripture study my Mom did, you will find in I Samuel 16:12 a desciption of David, son of Jesse. "...He was ruddy, with a fine appearance and
handsome features." The NASB says "...he was ruddy, with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance." Ruddy means with a red complexion. David seems to fit the description perfectly. He arrived a healthy red, with dark hair. David also means "beloved" which is also the meaning for my Mom's name (Amy). I thought that was cool.

I am praying over him that he would have a heart after God as King David did. I Samuel 13:14 says "...The Lord has sought out for Himself a man after His own heart....." referring to King David. I'm also praying that the Lord would anoint him as He did King David with the Spirit of the Lord in the same mighty and powerful way.

King David had so many positive traits. He was a skillful musician, a brave man, and a warrior for the Lord God Almighty. He spoke well and was a fine-looking man. He was a worshiper, he was truly repentant when he sinned, he learned from his mistakes, etc. These are some of the traits I hope for my David (and Jay, too, for that matter).

David's middle name, Scott, has several sentimental ties. First off, my Dad's Mom's maiden name (my Grandma) was Alma Scott. My brother's first name is Scott (and I so love and adore my bro), and my sister's fiance - soon-to-be husband on July 10th - his first name is Scott, too. As Molly's fiance Scott teased me the other day, "Did I feel left out? Did I need to have a 'Scott' in my life, too?"

I'm not going to divulge the other first and middle name that was in the running. Only a few select people know that name. I'd like to keep it "in the pot" in case we decide to have another kid down the road. But I'll warn you. Don't bring up that subject right now. Having a newborn in the house doesn't exactly make this Mom want to think about having another kid at the moment. Give me a year or more when the boys are both sleeping through the night on a regular basis...then maybe I'll consider the thought. :) Sleep deprivation can do that to a woman.

No comments: