Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving


Back row: Molly (my twin sis), me, Jay, Mom Amy, and Mandy (my sister-in-law)
Front row: Scott (Molly's boyfriend), Matt, and Scott (my brother)

This Thanksgiving was the "big" year with my Mom and her side of the family. Every other year my Mom's siblings (she's the baby of her family) and their kids (my first cousins) and now my first cousin's kids gather. This year 50 of us out of 73 were able to attend. We held the gathering in my Mom's church's fellowship room that has an attached kitchen. The location was great!

We have a tradition that each family group take a turn in the "hot seats" to give an update on what has happened in their life in the past year. It is really great since it would be really difficult to get around to visit with everyone. This also creates an opportunity for photos, so here is a quick introduction.

Beth and Lee
(Mom's oldest sister)
Beth and Lee's second oldest daughter, Lori, with husband Kirk and their family
(Oldest daughter Lisa and family weren't able to come)
Beth and Lee's third and first born son, Tom
with Emily and their two girls, Melia and Lara
Beth and Lee's youngest, Matt
with wife Melanie and kids

Mom's second oldest sibling, Joan
Cousins Connie, Cathy (and husband John holding baby Jack), and Ray J and their families
Joan's third daughter, Christy
with husband Rob and kids Alyssa and Scott
Mom's third-born sister, Mary Kaye with husband Roger
and Mary Kaye's third-born son Jacob
with wife Alisha (my best friend growing up)
and kids Julia and Zachary
(Cousins Kevin, Kathy, and Jeff and their families weren't able to come this year)
Mom's older brother Ray with wife Tena

Now here are a few candid photos taken during the gathering.

Here is a great one of cousin Christy's daughter Alyssa and my sister, Molly. They sure look alike, don't they!

Below is a funny photo of Jay.
I think he's telling me, "Yikes, Mom! You sure have a big family!" How am I going to remember all of these names??"
Little Zach was enthralled with the babies since normally he is the youngest in gatherings. He liked to "help" me and especially enjoyed watching Jay eat his meals. One time he pulled up a chair, climbed up on it, looked in the car seat at Jay and said "Baby cute!" in the sweetest tone of voice.

The following morning my cousin Matt's family came out to my Mom's house to pick up Beth and Lee who stayed the night. Here is a picture of 1 year, 2 mo. old Ella Beth hugging 6 mo. old Jay.
And I'll end with this photo below of Jay on November 28th (the day after Thanksgiving) in the arms of Grandma Amy playing on the kitchen island counter.

We sure had a great time COUNTING OUR many BLESSINGS, one of which is the love and support of family!!

1 comment:

Kathy's Corner said...

WONDERFUL reflections and photos of a day I would have loved to be a part of!!! I miss you all. We're coming... Dec. 14-28. :) Thank you, God, for our family!

Kathy