Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2 Years Old

Hard to believe, but two years ago today I was at the hospital and gave birth to this terrific boy!

I purposely did not plan a party this year not knowing when Baby Boy #2 will be making his arrival. Perhaps a lame excuse, but it is a valid excuse none-the-less, right?

At 10 a.m. this morning I had my 39-1/2 week check-up with my labor and delivery doctor. I'm progressing along just fine, but from indications the doctor's best guess is that I probably wouldn't deliver baby brother today. It is nearly 8 p.m. and so far he is right! It really could happen any time now. The day he'll arrive is anyone's guess. The doctor suggested I make my 40 week check-up appointment early next week, so I'll visit him again next Tuesday morning, June 8. That is, if I don't go into labor and delivery before then. Because it was Jay's birthday today the nurse gave Jay his choice of TWO stickers. Pretty cool!

I asked Jay after he woke up from his afternoon nap if he wanted Mommy to make cupcakes. Of course he enthusiastically said, "Yes!" I gave him a choice of yellow cake, chocolate cake, or devil's food (the three cake mixes I had in my pantry) and he quickly pointed to the chocolate one and helped me mix up the batter.

After Jay finished his dinner, Daddy got home from work, and after a fun phone call from family in Texas, I put two candles in a cupcake and Matt and I sang "Happy Birthday" to him. Here is a photo of him in the midst of us singing to him.
Here is a video snippet following Jay blowing out his candles.

And another video of us trying to get Jay to take his first bites of the cupcake...


The results when he was "all done" with his dessert.
Following dessert he opened up a few gifts from family and friends. The first is a video of him opening his gift from Aunt Traci, Uncle Keith, and cousins Samantha and Sydney.

Here is part one of opening his gift from Uncle Scott and Aunt Mandy.

Here is part two of opening his gift from Scott and Mandy.


And lastly here is a series of photos as he opened up his Fisher Price Doodle Pro gift from our friends Nathan and Katie. We gave the same/similar gift to their 2 year old daughter Audrey a couple weeks ago. It was such a hit they returned the favor of the great gift. Perhaps Jay will slow down on needing blank paper and his crayons for a little while now that he can use this gift.




More birthday gifts are to follow from family in the coming days (when much of the family plans to come for baby brother's arrival). I'm thankful we can spread out the birthday gifts, giving him more time to focus in on a few at a time.

Thanks for all the terrific gifts today! Although low-key, Jay had a terrific birthday today.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Great birthday blog! Happy Birthday Jay. Can't believe you're two!