Friday, August 13, 2010

David's 2 month Check-up

Yesterday was David's 2 month check-up appointment at the pediatrician's office. Yes, he is 2 months old already!

Here are David's stats:
Weight: 10 lbs, 9.5 oz. (25th-50th percentile)
Length/Height: 23-1/4" (50th-75th percentile)
Head Circumference: 39-1/2 cm (25th-50th percentile)

Compared to Jay's 2 month old stats:
Weight: 11 lbs, 6 oz. (50th percentile)
Length/Height: 23-1/2" (50th-75th percentile)
Head Circumference: 39-1/2 cm (25th-50th percentile)

David is an absolute joy to mother. He is now making cooing noises to "converse" with us, he can now focus his vision on a face for several seconds and follows moving targets a little bit, he pacifys himself using his fingers, thumb, and most commonly his fist, and we're so enjoying his smiles. He is a very "predictable" baby now, too - I know what he wants and when he wants it. I know when he is hungry, when he wants to be held, when something hurts (typically from a toy that landed on him from Jay), when he is tired and ready for a nap, and (hallelujah!) he is sleeping through the night on a regular basis (10 or 11 p.m. to 5 or 6 a.m.). He REALLY enjoys diaper changes and his typically every-other-night baths. He smiles and coos especially during diaper changes, so although diaper changes are frequent throughout the day, it is joyous bonding time with him. Here is a video I captured today. He stopped cooing just as I started the video, but you get a taste of his terrific smiles in this clip.


Jay is a terrific older brother to David. He loves to "help" me "carry" David, enjoys putting dirty diapers in the diaper pail which he can do all by himself now, he puts dirty clothes in the washer when asked (again, all by himself), retrieves items for me when I'm nursing (i.e. my cell phone if he hears it ring and I'm not near it), will throw things in the trash when instructed, and the list goes on. He routinely asks me at least once a day if he can hold David, so about once a day you'd see something like the picture below (taken this week):

Often Jay will put one arm around David when sitting with him, too.

I measured Jay on June 18 and I measured him today and was SHOCKED to see that in two months he has grown one full inch!! Not only is he physically growing taller, he has had a word explosion this week (my current favorite is "baby Day-day" for baby David). On the movement front, Jay really enjoys practicing his jumping (which is really just an exaggerated step over or a two foot short hop forward over a stick, a string, or whatever suits his fancy) and he enjoys a good twirling/spinning session and the funny results that come from getting dizzy.

The days here at home are very routine/scheduled and to my surprise go by quickly. Actually, I'm not sure the time goes by quickly during the day - I think it is more my realization at how FAST these boys grow and develop so therefore it feels like time is flying by. Does that make sense? I'm sure it does to all you parents out there in my blogland.

2 comments:

Traci said...

Jay is such a big boy now! He looks so grown up next to David:)

Traci said...

Yes Mindy, I get what your saying:)